Monday, April 07, 2008

I've just learned that clicking on the individual entries in my profile takes me to a list of bloggers sharing an individual "favorite". Clicking on each entry in the "favorite books" paragraph I found to my surprise that nobody else has listed any of my choices - not quite true, but more on that later.
On "favorite movies" (i.e., favourite films)I find that I share a predilection for "The Big Lebowski" with 15,299 others, but "I Soliti Ignoti" garners only 179 fellow enthusiasts. Anglophony rules, che peccato!
However looking at the figures for all films I notice that all are in multiples of five, so they may not be precise -
The Big Lebowski 15,300
Seven Samurai 3,900
Sunset Boulevard 1,700
The Battle of Algiers 285
I Soliti Ignoti 180
Out of curiosity I did a quick survey of Solitignotisti, and found that all but 24 were based in Italy. Of the rest most appeared to be Italian. I also noticed that there were only 179 altogether, which suggests that a rounding up may occur.
Interestingly I found that one Soliti fan, UK-based, listed "The Good Soldier Ċ vejk" among his book choices, so I'm not the only blogger to list that book. Perhaps the next acceptable figure after none is five, two doesn't make the cut.
With the music preferences it seems I've set my parameters too narrowly, or been too exclusive in listing. Only Bach and Blues are shared. "Jazz" would bring hundreds, perhaps thousands of fellow fans, but "Jazz 1945 to 1965", or whatever I've put down, brings no fellows.
I now intend to add a couple more choices, perhaps temporarily, to see what results they elicit. On films I'll try to think of a film hardly anyone will have seen.

Addendum: Having added "Los Golfos" to favourite films I find that one other blogger has listed it. So that's one theory shot down in flames.

Addendum 2: I listed "The Killing Floor" among my favourite films. Five other bloggers have that title listed. Looking at their other interests I was puzzled. Something didn't add up. When I did a search for the film I found that there are two films of that name. I have a feeling that only I referred to the earlier one about unions and racism in a Chicago slaughterhouse.

No comments: