Saturday, April 11, 2009

"This video is not available in your country"
According to one Bobbie Johnson in Guardian IT "Google pulled music videos from YouTube in the UK, complaining that it would cost more to show each video than it got in payment ...". Well tough shit, Google, don't you make a fortune selling the information you garner on our tastes and interests? How much is too much for you money grubbers?
I checked my del.icio.us account to see how many tagged videos were no longer accessible; Five had gone down the pan, 17 remained, mainly at last.fm or Foxy Tunes Planet, but five were labelled 'YouTube'. So presumably YouTube videos are still accessible but not via Google. The workings of the internet remain a mystery to me.
One video, I've forgotten which, is the subject of a copyright squabble involving someone called 'Archibuild Ltd'. I'm sure they're great music lovers.
Google had deprived me of a particularly favourite, "Intro and Outro" by the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band, but fortunately I was able to hook up to it again on last.fm.
Up yours, Google!

No comments: