Thursday, May 28, 2009

Another day, another poem; this is getting addictive.
H.J.Daniel (1819-1889), of Lostwithiel, Cornwall. That's all I knew about this gent, and I wasn't certain about Lostwithiel. Anyway I searched the web and learned a little more. All the above confirmed. Henry John Daniel, born Lostwithiel, 14th February 1818, the son of one Samuel Daniel, wholesale grocer. He wrote mostly in the Cornish dialect and his poems were published in West Country newspapers. The Dictionary of National Bigraphy ignores him. The only verse of his I could find online was a two-line epitaph for his wife -

"To follow you I'm not content
How do I know which way you went?"

The poem I have is also an epitaph, his own -

MY EPITAPH

Here lies a bard, let epitaphs be true,
His vices many, and his virtues few;
Who always left religion in the lurch
But never left a tavern for a church,
Drank more from pewter than Pierian Spring
And only in his cups was known to sing;
Laughed at the world, however it may blame,
And died regardless of his fate or fame.

No comments: