Thursday, February 23, 2012

The other day I went into that bookshop I don't like and was looking through some swag being sold off cheap. I lighted on a map of Bologna.
Do I need a map of Bologna? No
Did I want a map of Bologna? At 99p, yes.
Difficult to say why.
I associate the city of Bologna with three things -
An ancient and famed university
A football team with left-leaning supporters
The Wu Ming literary collective.

So what? I suppose it's something like that workmate of George Orwell's in Paris. Leaving work by Métro he always got off at the Cambronne station even though it wasn't the nearest station to his home. The reason; he was an old soldier and the station commemorated a brave general. "The Old Guard dies, it does not surrender."
Some say Cambronne's last word (not words) was otherwise. But no matter, the Old Guard did not surrender.
Some things elicit a positive, though not necessarily rational, response in a person's mind. Leastways that's how my mind works.
So I got the map and learned that there is a park in Bologna called the "Parco Pier Paolo Pasolini". Also I found that the street on which the university, or part of it, is situated is called the Via Zamboni. Could this be for the poor little Anteo Zamboni who tried to curtail Mussolini's dictatorship with a bullet? I checked. It could. I also learned that the multi-talented Pasolini was a native of Bologna, though he spent most of his life elsewhere.

I love maps, and atlases and gazetteers. No doubt there is a psychological explanation for this condition. I know there is a posh word for map collectors, but I've forgotten what it is. Learn something, forget something, the mind of the septuagenerian.

No comments: