Sunday, February 17, 2013

I've remarked before on my liking for lists, and my inability to complete one.
I keep trying to put together a list of my ten favourite music tracks. When I kicked off I had no trouble in identifying the top two. Then, noting that neither was sung in the English language I decided on two top tens - one of songs in the mother tongue and one of songs in other languages.
But songs? What about instrumental tracks? So a third list was born, which means that I should have a top ten comprising thirty tracks. If only! I've kept control of the instrumental list but the others have gone over budget. I think my top ten has thirty-eight participants. Nitchevo, I soldier on.

AN INNUMERATE'S TOP TEN TRACKS
LIST ONE
1. Harvest Moon - Cassandra Wilson
2. Love Hurts - Gram Parsons and Emmy Lou Harris
3. Ordinary Joe - Terry Callier
4. Going Back - Dusty Springfield
5. Will You Love Me Tomorrow? - The Lovely Shirelles
6. Sea of Heartbreak - Don Gibson
7. Rikki Don't Lose That Number - Steely Dan
8. Badge - Cream
9. The Folks Who Live on the Hill - Miss Peggy Lee
10.Light Flight - Pentangle (alias The Pentangle)
11.After the Goldrush - Prelude
12.Love Letters - Ketty Lester
13.Domhnall Óg - Seosaimhín Ní Bheagloigh (English version)
14.Worksong - Oscar Brown jr.
15.I Feel Free - Cream
16.Shopping for Clothes - The Coasters

LIST TWO
1. Maruzzella - Renato Carosone
2. Alors Raconte - Gilbert Bécaud
(These two are my all-time favourites, O mia giuventù bruciata!)
3. Aïcha - Khaled
4. Milord - Edith Piaf
5. Oran, Oran - Maurice el Medioni
6. La Mer - Charles Trenet
7. Malagueña Salerosa - Trio Los Paraguayos
8. Clandestino - Manu Chao
9. Barbès - Rachid Taha
10.Ne Me Quitte Pas - Jacques Brel
11.Ana Fi'l Hob - Les Orientales
12.Les Deux Guitares - Charles Aznavour

LIST THREE
1. All Blues - Miles Davis and Quintet
2. Ebony Samba - Stan Getz, Luiz Bonfá
3. Apache - The Shadows
4. Angie - Bert Jansch
5. Take Five - Dave Brubeck Quartet
6. Chega de Saudade - Dizzy Gillespie
7. She Moves Through the Bizarre - Davy Graham (alias Davey Graham)
8. Bad Penny Blues - Humphrey Lyttleton
9. Chunga's Revenge - Gotan Project
10.Green Onions - Booker T adnd the MGs

In all three lists the first two tracks really are one and two in preference. The rest are in no particular order, because I am so indecisive .

No comments: