Thursday, August 15, 2013

Last night I watched a documentary on BBC4 about John Cooper Clarke. One of the poems he read was called "Things are going to get worse", about growing old. It was funny, and a little poignant*. I wanted to link to it online; couldn't find the whole thing, only a few lines. There is film of him reciting the poem. And the gent has a website on which some of his verse is published.
When I first saw JCC on the telly I suspected him of being a phoney. I thought he must be some Oxford product putting on the Mancunian accent. People with accents like that don't do poetry, I thought, but no, he's the genuine article, Northern Urban Working Class.

When I was at school I hated poetry, couldn't see the point. I changed schools when I was nine and went to a primary that could only be described as "dog-rough". The kids weren't interested in learning. Their education took place outside of the school, mostly thieving. Yet there was one thing they loved - poetry. I just didn't get it. "Can we do a poem, sir?" Was a regular cry. If permission was granted they would recite the stuff they'd memorised, sometimes in unison. I remember a favourite was called 'The Lion-Tamer' and they'd give it the full strength.
"I CRACK my pistol, LASH my whip
to quell the angry lion"
Great emphasis was put on 'crack' and 'lash'. I don't remember any more of the poem, except 'cage of iron' which was the rhyme with 'lion'. I was bemused and couldn't remember any of the poetry. Another favourite began with the words "I sprang to the stirrup ...", and 'sprang' got the treatment in that one.
Then there was the kid who sat next to me. Every now and then he'd hand me a book of poems, and say "See if I've remembered that right". He'd reel off some poem he'd memorised and I checked that he was word-perfect. Why? What did he do with those poems after he'd learned them? Where did he deliver them? Who listened? He came from a family that always had at least one member doing time.
Not all poems were acceptable however. I remember a teacher was reading "The Highwayman" to the class. That poem contains an attempt to represent the sound of horses' hooves [hoofs?] with the word 'tlot'. Now this was near enough to 'plop' to cause some mirth.

"Tlot, tlot upon the highway"
(read the teacher)
"Tlot, tlot in the echoing night.
Tlot tlot upon the highway..."

"The, horse was having a shite"
came a suggested rhyme from the back of the class.
The teacher tore down the room, dragged some poor kid out to the front, and beat him about the head. The lad protested his innocence, "It wasn't me, sir." To no avail, the teacher had to reassert his authority, and quick; no time for investigation.
I don't think we 'did' that poem again.

Just to show that poetry can appeal to young working-class males, but the subject has to be right. Plenty of action, and it's got to rhyme. At least it did in my schooldays. Even then there were those who didn't get it - me for instance.

*Afterthought: 'poignant' may not be the word I wanted. 'Disturbing'?

5 comments:

Chris Hall said...

Doing O Level English Literature ensured I had a distaste for 'classic' literature and poetry that exists to this day. As evidenced by my 'Ungraded' score in the exams.

Might have been different if we'd done stuff other than Dickens and Shakespeare.

Jemmy Hope said...

Yeah, I got put off Shakespeare, at a later school than the one with the poetry buffs. We didn't do Dickens, so he escaped the fallout.
Interesting how much people are turned off subjects taught in schools, yet most will find some subject stimulating.

Jemmy Hope said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michael William Scott said...

Hey, Jemmy, just got back from the UK and have to say we thoroughly enjoyed your country....well, the bits we saw: primarily Liverpool, the Cotswolds, Bath and London. Good oh!

On the subject of "I crack my pistol lash my whip to quell the angry lion", if you ever DO find the remainder, please advise. I distinctly remember SINGING these as lyrics in a boyhood musical competition back in..........oh.........1962!

Time flies when you're having fun, but this line has stuck with me over the millennial divide!

Jemmy Hope said...

Hello, Michael.
Pleased to hear you enjoyed your visit. Liverpool - Beatles pilgrimage?
I didn't know that that poem was singable. I've had a quick look round the internet, several poems called The Lion Tamer", but not this particular one. If I ever find it I'll post it up.
Cheers!