Thursday, June 26, 2014

And a fragment of a song
(A. and M. Bergman)
Some bits of lyrics stick with you even if you don't know the whole song.

The large print giveth
And the small print taketh away
(Tom Waits)

The radio's playing Charlie Rich
He sure can sing, that sonofabitch
(same fellow)

I can't cut loose
Till I've had my juice
(Jon Hendricks)

Some would rob you with a six-gun
And some with a fountain pen
(Woody Guthrie)

If ever I get my liberty
Rough company I will shun
Likewise the walking of the streets
And the drinking of strong rum
(Traditional)

That her dark hair would weave a snare
That I would one day rue
(Patrick Kavanagh)

The sun and the moon from me you've taken
And God Himself if I'm not mistaken
(Traditional, translated Lady Gregory?)

And we left that bastard's bones to bleach
On the trail of the buffalo
(Traditional)

There's not a woman in our town
Will look at the blackleg miner
(Traditional)

My son was no informer boys
He died a Fenian blade
(Traditional)

I was hoping you'd join me
'Cos I ain't got no money
(Ani DiFranco)

So you don't like your job
Nobody likes their job
(same lady)

Women got my number
But they don't call 'cos they don't care
(Waylon Jennings)

No comments: