Sunday, January 24, 2010

I've got a new toy, a website that lets you catalogue your library and, if you wish, find others with the same books - interesting. There are other bibliophilic things that can be done, but being a slow learner, I won't be getting too ambitious.
In fact I'm already weakening at the task I've set myself. I tried to be methodical, working my way through the shelves subject by subject. I started with history, but now I'm getting bored and want to go on to something else. If I had the bloody books in some sort of order to begin with it would have been a help, but no. Big books on the lower shelves, little ones higher up. I try with some success to keep reference works together, but it doesn't always work.
The speed I type at, twenty words per minute if I'm lucky, it's going to take a long, long time. No doubt the novelty* will wear off and the catalogue will join all my other unfinished projects (work in progress is a handy euphemism).
All this sweated labour takes me away from these pages. There may be a darwinian struggle for survival between blog and 'logue, unobserved by the indifferent masses.

*Asterisk marks the nineteenth word typed in a timed minute.

No comments: