Wednesday, January 06, 2010

This morning, listening to Big Joe Williams singing "Baby Please Don't Go", something struck me.
I must have heard that song about two hundred times, sung by six or so different interpreters, and I still don't understand the lyrics. I get the first verse then it all gets vague and mumbly.
"Before I'll be your dog ...", that's what it sounds like; then further along "make your way down here" (maybe). Then another verse, "Turn your light down low ...", and that's it.
After all that time, singing along to the first verse, then being struck dumb. I think I'll do a bit of browsing and see what I've been listening to all these years.

Addendum: got it. Not very impressive, but a good tune. It says by Muddy Waters, but probably refers to the best known singer. I think Big Joe W. was responsible.

No comments: