Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Is that supposed to be you?" asked my lady wife on seeing the photograph on the blog.
"Yeah, like me, isn't he?"
"Not at all."
"Apart from the facial hair."
"No."
"What? The high forehead, long nose, hostile stare?"
"Nothing like you."

Wad the Lord the giftie gie us
Tae see oorsels as ithers see us.
Something like that.

The first image I had to represent me was a character out of the Simpsons just known as "old man". That lasted a while until the people who police the blog removed it. Something to do with copyright.
So I looked around for an elderly male, not exactly ugly, but ... you know. I ended up with a photograph of an IWW organiser from long ago named Michael Sheehan. It came off the IWW website, no copyright there, eh fellow workers?
Then I managed to get a photograph of myself without grandkids; their presence seems to be the only thing that turns camera lenses in my direction. When TGIA wrote that the photograph looked like Jean-Pierre Cassel I knew it wasn't truly representative, so back to the drawing board.
Along came Gavin Maxwell, author and otter-fancier and no matinee idol. My double I thought, but it seems I got it wrong again.
In the words of Sam Cooke, "A change is gonna come."

5 comments:

thankgodimatheist said...

The Cassel look alike was a good one..It doesn't matter if it's not everything that is you, photos rarely are.

Jemmy Hope said...

The verdict of an artist.

thankgodimatheist said...

This one is interesting (and intriguing). I was wondering if you were in the cinema business thinking it was you in the photo..And I see similarity between this one and the "Cassel"s..

Jemmy Hope said...

We can't all be stars of the silver screen, TG.

Jemmy Hope said...

I should have checked, of course. The correct version of the Burns quotation is -
"O wad some Power the giftie gie us
To see oursels as ithers see us!