Sunday, November 14, 2010

While my missus was buying curtains this morning I did penance for my sins by entering that bloody bookshop where every nonentity who has appeared on the television in the course of the year has a book for sale. Each book is adorned by a smirking or sneering face on the front cover. Sneering is the preferred look of the REAL MEN who drivel on about cars and manly things.
I made my way to the poetry section and saw, to my surprise, a collection of poems by the immortal Dorothy Parker. I didn't realise she'd written so much verse. That goes on my list of acceptable Christmas presents.
One of the poems I read was called "The Veteran". I've since found it on the net and copied it. Here goes -

THE VETERAN
(Dorothy Parker)

When I was young and bold and strong,
Oh, right was right, and wrong was wrong!
My plume on high, my flag unfurled,
I rode away to right the world.
"Come out, you dogs, and fight!" said I,
And wept there was but once to die.

But I am old; and good and bad
Are woven in a crazy plaid.
I sit and say, "The world is so;
And he is wise who lets it go.
A battle lost, a battle won -
The difference is small, my son."

Inertia rides and riddles me;
The which is called Philosophy

1 comment:

thankgodimatheist said...

Beautiful..I didn't know her..Thanks