Friday, March 11, 2011

My posting of the call to make Dudeism a recognised religion via this year's census doesn't mean I'm going to label myself a member of the Church of the Latter Day Dude. If I complete the form I'll declare myself some kind of heathen, or perhaps a Spinozist.
In fact I'm torn between boycotting the process and collaborating to avoid a £1,000 fine. The fact that the 2011 census is to be conducted by the armsmongers Lockheed Martin is a cause for concern. This from the Guardian -
Lockheed Martin – which does 80% of its work for the US defence department – assists more than two dozen American government agencies and is involved in surveillance and data processing for the CIA and FBI. It has controversially provided private contract interrogators to the Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq and Guantánamo Bay in Cuba. All US-based companies are subject to the Patriot Act, which allows the US government to have access to any data in the company's possession. Campaigners have warned this could give the US government access to detailed and personal data on the UK's entire population.

The principled stand is non-cooperation, but can I afford to be principled?
"Erst kommt das Fressen
Dann kommt die moral."
(Bertholt Brecht)

"How can a poor man stand such times and live?"
(Alfred Reed, via Ry Cooder)

No comments: