Saturday, April 23, 2011

Yesterday, Good Friday, I took a walk into town. Almost every shop and store stood open, so different from the pre-Thatcher era. Still, Mammon wasn't crucified.
In a charity shop I lit on a second-hand copy of Eric Clapton's autobiography which I bought. I really dislike Clapton, but I was (am) a fan of Cream, and was interested in that period of the man's career.
I also wanted to know if he had abandoned the rabid racism of his days as a permanently pissed pillock. Well he did express misgivings about the Birmingham diatribe, but only because of all the trouble it caused him. It seems he was misunderstood. In fact he was saddened that those nice dark-skinned people had to exchange their tropical paradise for a life of exploitation in Britain. To quote: "I had been in Jamaica just before, and had seen countless commercials on TV advertising a 'new life' in Great Britain, and then at Heathrow had witnessed whole families of West Indians being harassed and humiliated by the immigration people, who had no intention of letting them in. It was appalling."
Aah, the bleeding heart. Funny, I remember it differently, and Clapton's wikipedia entry supports my memory -
On 5 August 1976 Clapton provoked an uproar and lingering controversy when he spoke out against increasing immigration during a concert in Birmingham. Visibly intoxicated, Clapton voiced his support of controversial political candidate Enoch Powell and announced on stage that Britain was in danger of becoming a "black colony". Clapton was quoted telling the audience: "I think Enoch's right ... we should send them all back. Throw the wogs out! Keep Britain white!" The latter phrase was at the time a British National Front slogan. Clapton continued:
"I used to be into dope, now I’m into racism. It’s much heavier, man. Fucking wogs, man. Fucking Saudis taking over London. Bastard wogs. Britain is becoming overcrowded and Enoch will stop it and send them all back. The black wogs and coons and Arabs and fucking Jamaicans and fucking (indecipherable) don’t belong here, we don’t want them here. This is England, this is a white country, we don’t want any black wogs and coons living here. We need to make clear to them they are not welcome. England is for white people, man. We are a white country. I don’t want fucking wogs living next to me with their standards. This is Great Britain, a white country, what is happening to us, for fuck's sake? We need to vote for Enoch Powell, he’s a great man, speaking truth. Vote for Enoch, he’s our man, he’s on our side, he’ll look after us. I want all of you here to vote for Enoch, support him, he’s on our side. Enoch for Prime Minister! Throw the wogs out! Keep Britain white!"

Lovely fellow! Other facts garnered from the same source: Clapton is worth £200 million and is a supporter of the Countryside Alliance.

6 comments:

Jemmy Hope said...

Wow! Give the ink a chance to dry, you needy creature. You really do hang on my every word. I'd be flattered if you actually demonstated a thought process as opposed to a pavlovian reaction.
Time for the chemical cosh - or is it the straightjacket in your case? I must contact your minders and find out.

fleming said...

Its called fortunate timing, Jemmy. Or perhaps unfortunate for you :) There is a rather large time difference, recall?

When I get a chance in the morning, sometimes I hit your site. And I just might feel compelled to respond to your (recent) blather. So sue me. Or read all kinds of nefarious machinery into it. Your choice to act sanely or not

I know you are unaccustomed to having contact with anything resembling a human being. But try and not seem so astounded. It makes you seem pathetic.

Jemmy Hope said...

The above is the last communiqué from The Aryan Nation to appear on these pages. Its publicity officer fleming can take his Helter Skelter fantasies elsewhere.

Drew said...

Take off your PC glasses for a second and take a look at what mass immigration has done to England and you will see Clapton had a point. I used to live there and it is disgusting what minority groups are doing.

How typically Left of you to do the intellectual equivalent of putting your fingers in your ears and screaming "NAH NAH NAH NAH NAH NAH NOT LISTENING" when presented with flemings alternative viewpoint.

Jemmy Hope said...

"flemings alternative viewpoint"

Give me a break, pal. The crap fleming spouts is no "alternative", but the dominant ideology in his benighted nation. Sometimes we have to wait for the fake-liberal facade to slip, but for most people over there it's on show all the time.
The dominant ideology of the dominant political and miltary power in the world (for the time being). What exactly is "alternative" about that?

You used to live "there". So what are you? A tax-dodging emigrant, i.e., an immigrant in someone else's country? Or are you one of those chancers who took up residence here for a while, enjoyed the benefits of our National Health Service for the duration, and now feel so knowledgeable about our country that you deign to lecture us on what we are doing wrong. Either way you've been, or are, a stranger in a strange land; for economic advantage, no doubt.
Whatever your opinion, and you might as well know it carries no weight with me, you choose to align yourself with racists; Gobshite Clapton, and Atlanta's own Charles Manson. Are you coming out as a racist yourself?

Jemmy Hope said...

Someone named 'Drew' left a comment here yesterday which has disappeared since the blogger went down today - no great loss. I wrote a reply which has also gone down the world-wide plughole. If there was any point in rewriting I wouldn't have bothered anyway. Suffice to say that I despise racists, and I despise hypocrites who think it's OK for them to take up residence in countries other than their own, but not for the rest of us.