Monday, July 23, 2012

Withdrawal symptoms - Tour de France over; what to do with my afternoons?

NOW we all love the Tour; so different from a few years ago when the only time the Grand Boucle got a mention in the British media was when there was a drug scandal to gloat over: and a name-check for the winner when the race was over.
BBC news reports of the fifties, Louison Bobet winner, Jacques Anquetil winner. That was it.
During my school years it was a bit better. One of my better off mates could afford the magazines that kept us in touch; the days of Fausto Coppi and Gino Bartali.

Today every news bulletin is an edition of the Bradley Wiggins Show. The last couple of days I've been hearing that the Tour is the greatest annual sporting event of them all. On a couple of occasions reporters have forgotten their task of puffing the McDolympics and left out the 'annual' bit.

Well done, Team Murdoch, the old ganef will be pleased. Now you've got the yellow jersey maybe next year's race will be a little less clockwork, a little less patronale, à l'Hinault. I prefer an exciting loser to a boring winner. Wiggins got the big prize, but Cavendish and Froome were more interesting to watch.

I was wondering where the name Wiggins came from. Guesses: 1. locative from the town of Wigan. 2. A patronymic related to the Irish name that gives us the surnames MagUigin (Maguigan) and Ó hUigin (now Higgins). No, it's Breton in origin, from the name of a saint, Uuicon or Uuincon. This gives us the French (Breton?) surname Guégan. The French avoid the letter W and go for the G sound, i.e., Guillaume (William), Gautier (Walter). An early English based Uuicon was recorded as Wigan le Breton, and across the generations variant spellings appeared.

Get me on the subject of names and I could bore for England.

2 comments:

thankgodimatheist said...

One learns things over here!
I never took to the Tour, not sure why. Maybe because the only "action" I can follow and be entertained with is just riding to no end with an occasional, unintended carambolage and pile ups. Sounds silly maybe, I don't know.
Never heard of Fausto Coppi and Gino Bartali, question of age maybe but surely of Bobet and Anquetil,two legends.

Jemmy Hope said...

Ah, you're just a young whippersnapper, TG.
(Whippersnapper - first time I've ever used that word.)