Tuesday, March 12, 2013


Funny thing -
I've been searching the net for information about my maternal grandfather's action-packed and varied military career, with little success. I decided to look at his old regiment's website, searched the archive under his name, and found a reference.
According to regimental records my grandfather was killed in action in South Africa in 1900.
Old grandad died in 1924. He was seriously wounded in a Boer ambush in February 1900, invalided out and pensioned off. But that was not the end of his military exploits. He signed up in 1914, passing the medical, and forfeiting his meagre pension. According to my late Aunt Kate he only joined up because he was blacklisted and couldn't get work in Civvy Street.
It's the 1914-1918 part of his army service that interests me, as he appears to have got into big trouble by refusing to obey an order. I imagine that was a serious offence during wartime and could have resulted in a court-martial. However it may have been a simpler solution to send him where he could be shot or gassed to death or physical ruin. Certainly he began the war in a home posting away from the gunplay, and ended it in a military hospital recovering from wounds sustained in action.
The regimental archive record also mentioned some item, a gift to the regimental museum, connected to the old fellow.
Much to learn.

I was moved to start this search by an advert I saw on the net. Some outfit boasting of the millions of service personnel records going back to the 17th century, and coming forward almost to the present. "Try us", was the challenge. I tried them and they failed miserably. Grandad, who served in three theatres of conflict, wounded and decorated in all three - nothing. My old man's service in World War II - nothing. My own service "with the colours" - nothing. Various uncles, regular and conscript; 21 years service or just 39-45; army, navy, plus a cousin in the air force and a cousin in the ladies' army (WAAFs?): not forgetting a merchant seaman uncle on minesweepers - not a word.
Maybe if I knew of an ancestor who fought in Cromwell's New Model Army, they'd have something on him.

No comments: