Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Having seen the Alex Cox film "Searchers 2.0" the other night and enjoyed it I thought I'd have a look at Mr. Cox's website to see what he was up to. I was wondering after seeing the film why he didn't do more work in the UK. However his perspective on the USA and its denizens is more interesting than all that Hollywood cobblers, so maybe they need his contribution more than we do.
On the site I came across this observation on the candidates in the presidential election. I thought I'd lift it as it chimes with my own opinion.
Murdoch's declaration of support for Barak Obama is perfectly apt. All three 'candidates' and both 'parties' support the occupations of Afghanistan and Iraq. All three will bomb or invade Iran if pushed to do so. All three will attempt to privatize Social Security. Indeed, I had an interesting conversation with an Obama fund-raiser on the phone. Being a foreigner, I don't contribute to American elections or political parties, but just for the heck of it I told him I wouldn't support Obama unless he promised to shut down the permanent US military bases and pull all US troops out of Iraq. The fund-raiser said Barak couldn't do that; this guy knew all about the fourteen permanent US bases, and he said: "America is a big country. We have serious needs. We're not going to withdraw from the world. Our needs are too great for that."

No comments: