Saturday, August 16, 2008

Some quotes I've heard or seen recently and need to record -

"The first panacea for a mismanaged nation is inflation of the currency; the second is war. Both bring temporary prosperity; both bring a permanent ruin. But both are the refuge of political and economic opportunists."
Ernest Hemingway. Gleaned from a comment on Molly and Yasmin's blog.

"While I tell you this quite happily, I will not
go on oath as to its accuracy."
Ian Duhig, "Sweet Things" (poem).

"capitalism is the devil's wet dream"
Ani DiFranco, "Serpentine" (poem).

"90% of sci-fi is shit, but then again, 90% of everything is shit."
Theodore Sturgeon, quoted in John Patterson's column in yesterday's Guardian, Film and Music.

"They're all a lot of jumped-up fascist bastards!"
Rab Nesbitt, the Sage of Govan, in a clip on the telly last night. The clip was from the eighties, and I think he was describing Thatcherite politicians, but I reckon it'll do for politicians in general.

No comments: