Friday, June 05, 2009

Back to the dead white men - the Austrian Karl Kraus (1874-1936), better known as a journalist and playwright, but he wrote poetry too. Looking around for references I read this quote and had to have it here:
"I and my public understand each other very well: it does not hear what I say, and I don't say what it wants to hear."
The English version of this poem is by Karl F. Ross -

TO THE BOURGEOIS

That in gloom some are despairing
so the sun be yours alone;
that your burdens they are bearing
in addition to their own;
that their nights your days would earn you
that their chains your freedom built -
that this never did concern you,
who can rid you of that guilt?

AN DER BURGER

Dass im dunkel die dort leben,
so du selbst nur Sonne hast;
dass für dich die Lasten haben,
neben ihrer eignen Last;
dass du frei durch ihre Ketten,
Tag erlangst durch ihre Nacht:
was wird von der Schuld dich retten,
dass du daran nie gedacht.

No comments: