Tuesday, June 02, 2009

A few words from Joe Corrie (1894-1968), miner, poet, playwright. I thought I'd read somewhere that he was blacklisted after the General Strike, but I can't find anything to confirm that. Certainly he was familiar with the dole. This poem was written circa 1930 -

EAT MORE

'Eat more fruit!' the slogans say,
'More fish, more beef, more bread!'
But I'm on unemployment pay
My third year now, and wed.

And so I wonder when I'll see
The slogan when I pass,
The only one that would suit me, -
'Eat More Bloody Grass!'

2 comments:

Chris Hall said...

I admit to being a bit of a philistine when it comes to the arts, but having spent 3 years on the dole courtesy of Messrs Thatcher and Major I can relate to that poem. Nice one!

Jemmy Hope said...

Cheers,Chris. I too was a frequenter of the dole office during the decade of despair (80s).