Thursday, June 11, 2009

James Hope of Templepatrick, County Antrim (1764-1847), weaver, Jacobin, and, as his gravestone informs us, a soldier in his country's cause. Also a poet, and here are a couple of his works -

HINT TO POLITICAL CONTROVERSIALISTS

These are my thoughts, nor do I think I need
Perplex my mind with any other creed.
I wish to let my neighbour's creed alone,
And think it quite enough to mind my own.

THE FAST - FROM BLOOD

When tyrants wage unbounded war,
And suffering nations groan,
When dreadful tidings from afar
Cause mothers' hearts to moan;
When judgement dread in thunders roar
Against the human race;
From pole to pole, from shore to shore
They banish blessed peace.
While sanctimonious men in prayer
Give thanks for battles won,
Or call for Heaven's propitious care
And shed more blood, anon.
But know, proud man, that God won't deign
To answer your request,
While murder's in your heart and brain,
And vengeance in your breast.
Go learn the way that Heaven commands,
And righteousness obey,
Undo each yoke, and burst all bands,
And quit your tyrant sway;
The hungry feed, the naked clothe,
The prisoners' fetters break,
The poor that's at your gate, don't loathe,
But kindly act and speak.
Then shall your light as morning shine,
And every cloud dispel,
Whilst every gift that is divine,
Shall in your bosoms dwell.
This is the fast that God demands
Throughout his Sacred Word,
And none but this in mercy stands,
Or tells with mercy's Lord.
This be your off'ring - these your fasts,
Strict fast from pride and blood,
And keep them while existence lasts
If you would please your God.

Clearly James was a religious man, a deist at the least. Probably a Christian, as the reference to God's "Sacred Word" attests. Certainly not a Christian of the Bush- Blair variety, wading through the blood of innocents; more like the Catholic Worker variety.

2 comments:

Chris Hall said...

I do like that one, sort of fits in with what I think faith should be.m Is he one of your ancestors?

Jemmy Hope said...

Religion is like the Labour Party in my opinion, beyond redemption though some of their adherents are not.
No, not an ancestor, Chris. I just borrowed the name, though I do feel a strong affinity.