Thursday, January 06, 2011

Despite the Guardian’s international reputation as the Western newspaper most savagely critical of Israel’s actions, I quickly realised that there were, in fact, very clear, and highly unusual, limitations on what could be written about Israel.
Consider the following examples. One is an account I submitted based on my investigations of an apparent shoot-to-kill policy by the Israeli police against its own Palestinian citizens at the start of the second intifada. The article was sat on for months by the paper. Finally, after I made repeated queries, I was informed by the features editor that the article could not be used because it was no longer “fresh”.
...
I believe that the popular mood in Britain has turned rapidly against Israel over the past decade. Israel appears to have been initially fearful that the BBC might reflect such sentiments. But after considerable secretive pressure from the Israeli foreign ministry and its lobbyists, the BBC has moved in precisely the opposite direction.
...
Philo related a discussion he had with senior producers on television news, including the BBC, one of whom said to him candidly:
"We wait in fear for the telephone call from the Israelis.”

(Journalist Jonathan Cook, at Medialens)

2 comments:

thankgodimatheist said...

Thanks for this, Jemmy, I'm sharing it.

Jemmy Hope said...

Help yourself, TG.