Tuesday, August 07, 2012

I want my
I want my
I want my MP3
(Apologies to Mark Knopfler)

I do miss that little gadget. I got it for my 70th birthday, so it lasted almost four years. It has helped me through those nuits blanches (ever more common) when a decent quota of shuteye escaped me. Instead of blundering about the house, or trying to concentrate on crosswords and cocking them up, I could lie in bed waking and dozing, listening to a random selection of music on a very low volume; it stopped me thinking about all my problems.
No more.

Funny thing -
I had the music on one night just before the thing let me down, half listening, when I got a surprise - the Inkspots were serenading me with "If I didn't care". THE INKSPOTS. Where did they come from? I looked at the little screen and it informed me that I was listening to Dobie Gray singing "Drift Away". Now I know that that track is on there, but it too must be sailing under false colours, as there was only one track under that name, and it was the Inkspot impostor.
Nothing against the Inkspots, but they were gatecrashers and had to go. But I still don't know how they got there.
Now they've all gone, and I'm back blundering and staring bleary eyed at messed up crosswords.

No comments: